Monday 1 September 2014



It's Top 5 Wednesday Monday time! Because being on time is so last year just kidding I'm on a never-ending game of catch-up with everything, including my life.

Top 5 Wednesday - Top Spines

1. The Gone-Away World, by Nick Harkaway
You look at it on your bookshelf and you're like "darn it, rats! Stay away from my books, we had a deal! You were only supposed to chew on my sister." And then "oh, right that's just really good graphic design. Ha ha! Sorry, rats! Buddies! I'll send an apology fruit basket later." This spine is so meta. It's the image of a book on a book being ripped open to reveal dark forces lurking within the jagged pages. So very meta. What does meta even mean? Probably this.

2. The King of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner
This spine may not be doing the can-can to grab your attention from an assortment of books on a shelf, but it doesn't have to. It's simple and elegant, much like Megan Whalen Turner's prose. You see this spine and a chill runs up yours, because you realize that while this book may be pretty, it also means business.

3. Misfortune, by Wesley Stace
I like this spine far more than I actually liked the story, sad to say. However, I was a wee nerdling when I first read this, capable of only understanding complex and involved sentences like "See Jane run," so maybe this story deserves another go. Top 5 Wednesday meme, Misfortune thanks you for its second chance at life!

4. The End of Mr. Y, by Scarlett Thomas
I love the colors! I love the jaunty, irregular typography! This is great! Actual perfect spine design! I could look at this spine all day, then turn to behold the bold, text-heavy spiraling cover until my growing claw-nails embed themselves into the paper crumbling away and making a big mess in my coffin.

5. Hark! A Vagrant, by Kate Beaton
Look at it! It's fun, it's peppy, and it's loud! It screams "Pick me up and smear your goopy loser tears along my glowing pages as the awful realization dawns on you that you will never contain even a fragment of Kate Beaton's genius! Behold my wit and despair, but, like, via hysterical historical comic-induced laughter!" So great.

0 comments:

Post a Comment